I really hate writing ‘about me’s.
It just always has that horrific icebreaker vibe where you’re sat in a circle and everyone’s staring at you, expecting a 30 second pitch on why you’re a funny, intelligent, and interesting person. Or they make you play one of those god-awful games like two truths, one lie and you’re just sitting there as your turn gets closer and closer and you suddenly realise your entire life is incredibly mundane.
Actually, that’s not a bad idea for an about me page…
Okay here we go, here’s five facts about me. One of them is a lie. Let me know which one you think is the lie and I might shoot you a cheeky follow if you get it right:
- When I was a kid, I knocked out my front two teeth because I got hit in the face by a frisbee. No I wasn’t trying to catch it in my mouth, I’m just very uncoordinated
- I used to own a pet giant African land snail. He was called Shakespeare. I say ‘he’, I’ve just googled it and apparently snails are hermaphrodites. Now I feel bad for never asking their pronouns
- I’ve been to the hairdressers underneath the Magic Kingdom at Disney World
- Family legend says I’m descended from Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne Boleyn and mistress of Henry VIII. No I am not yet famous enough to go on ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’ and have this confirmed
- When we had French day at school, instead of coming in dressed up in a beret and a striped shirt like everyone else, I had my Mum make me a Fleur Delacour costume from Harry Potter because I was, and still am, a complete nerd
Anyway, fun facts (and fictions) aside, I’m a 20-something Brit who’s decided it’s finally time to stop dreaming and start doing. This is my place to track my bucket list and motivate myself to start crossing things off. I also do a fair amount of reminiscing on past adventures – hey, just because I’ve already completed something doesn’t mean it wasn’t a bucket list item! Plus it makes me feel more accomplished.
So hopefully this blog will be evidence of a life well lived; a place where ‘what if’s come to die.
If not, please feel free to yell at me.
You have my permission.